Automating Seaport Operations with Advanced OCR Technology
The port is a deep-sea port operating a full-scale container terminal with an annual throughput in excess of 120,000 TEUs.
With a 300-meter-long quay, three Quayside Gantry Cranes and four Rubber Tired Gantry Cranes making up the main cargo handling equipment optimisation is key to managing the large throughput.
The Port needed a solution to automate, increase productivity and improve security by addressing:
- How can IP video be used to support automatic synchronization of container information to the port’s internal “Terminal Operating System (TOS)”?
- How can IP video be used to ensure the port containers are sorted according to container ID, next destination port, and transport companies in order to provide workers with the required paperwork the moment the containers arrived at the port entrance?
- How can IP video be used to automatically check license plates at the port’s entrance per the port’s online booking service requirements?
Vaxtor and Network Optix worked together to address the challenges raised by the port’s team. Nx provided the video management system (Nx Witness VMS) and Vaxtor provided the video analytics (Vaxtor OCR, Vaxtor ALPR).
Using the combined solution:
- Nx Witness VMS captures video of containers as they enter and leave the port.
- Vaxtor’s solutions, seamlessly integrated into Nx Witness VMS, capture the License Plate and Container ID.
- System operators have created a Rule in the Nx Witness Rules engine which then creates Bookmarks each time a container is identified by cameras throughout the port.
- If a Port operator needs to find a container or investigate what has occurred they simply open Nx Witness VMS and search archived video for a particular license plate or container ID. Nx Witness VMS captures and stores metadata from Vaxtor’s analytics engine and operators can search an entire year of archived video in seconds using associated metadata (tags, bookmarks, etc).
- The customer also captures data directly from VaxALPR and VaxOCR as they send metadata to the “Terminal Operating System (TOS)” for automatic data collection.
A simple, straightforward solution addressing the existing issues and the flexibility to continually improve operations. The solution vastly decreases the time required to locate, investigate and analyse any containers or vehicles within the port.
Vaxtor & Nx Witness Team Up to address Ports
Network Optix teamed up with Vaxtor to help automate Cambodia’s largest seaport using Nx Witness VMS and Vaxtor’s OCR and LPR analytics. This quick video demos how Vaxtor Works with Nx to identify port shipping containers.